Monday, November 11, 2019

Monday, November 11, 2019: Fort Collins

We arose early in Kearney to light snow, a temperature of 16F and a strong north wind. Wind chill was 0F. Maria got up early, around 6:00 am, to work out. I got up around 7:00 am for breakfast. We left the the hotel about 8:15 am.

The weather improved as we traveled west. The sun came out, the snow stopped the wind abated. The temperature dropped to 12F as we elevated to Cheyenne around 6,000 feet. By the time we reached Fort Collins, the temperature was up to 23F.

I called Dave and suggested we meet at the restaurant due to the timing. We met them at 12:30 pm and had a nice lunch.



Then Maria and I went to visit mom.

Our visit with mom was very successful. When we first met, there was a moment I saw hesitation and feared she would not recognize me. But that passed quickly. We stayed almost two hours and talked. She really liked Maria.


At one point, Maria took her hand and noticed how dry they were. She asked mom if she would like some hand cream, to which mom said yes. Maria pulled a tube out of her bag and rubbed it into her hands. Mom loved it!! Mom mentioned her face felt like "sand paper". Will look into a skin treatment for her.

Mom brought up moving to Kingman a couple of times, how she would like to die and how she would like to have a watch. She never knows what time it is or what day it is.

Mom mentioned she wished she could sleep more. I said I understood her new care arrangement (hospice). She said she did not know what I was talking about. Maybe I should not have said anything!

I told mom that I would definitely return to see her after Christmas, before I leave on my world cruise.

Maria wants to return to visit her again tomorrow, bringing her flowers, nail polish and a cookie.

No comments:

Post a Comment